Psion Teklogix Workabout PRO
FAQ - Frequently asked questions
© EDV Pulster, Germany - www.pulster.de - firstname.lastname@example.org
- What variants of the Workabout PRO are available ?
- What is the difference between generation G1/G2/G3 ?
|CPU||PXA255 - 400 Mhz||PXA270 - 520 Mhz||PXA270 - 624 Mhz|
|memory||64 MB Flash ROM / 128 MB RAM||256 MB Flash ROM / 128 MB RAM||1 GB Flash ROM / 256 RAM|
Windows CE.net 4.2 or Mobile3/5
|Windows CE.net 5 (english) and
Mobile 6.1 (multi languages)
|battery||up to 3300mAh||up to 4400mAh||see G2|
|WiFi||802.11b/g, GPRS||802.11a/b/g, EDGE, 3G HSDPA||see G2|
|Bluetooth||BT Class II 1.1||BT Class II 2.0 + EDR||see G2|
laser etched, hard capped, backlit keyboard (no wear off, no keypull off, night-usable)
|see G2, new option os Alphanumeric ABCDEF, QWERTY and Numeric|
|USB-on-the-Go now allows ActiveSync connection via the new connection cable.||see G2|
wide range of RFID technologies supported: HF, Mifare, LF, UHF
|IP rating||IP 54||IP 65 (increased rain/dust rating)||see G2|
|SUMMARY||First variant of Workabout PRO||G2 has a lot more features than G1||G3 is similar to G2, minor updates.|
-Where can I find informations about the Psion Teklogix Workabout PRO ?
You can see short videos about the Workabout PRO here and here. The most helpful site is the Teklogix Community.
- system OS options ?
Microsoft provides infos about Windows
Embedded CE.net here (link) and Windows
Mobile here (link).
Windows Mobile features a pretty user interface and more bundled programs (Pocket Office etc.). If you are intending to develop your own applications using Visual Studio.net then the CE.net variants are usually favoured.
The Window CE.net system is available in English only. The Windows Mobile system for G1 is available in English, for G2 and G3 units there is also French, Spanish, Italian, German, Chinese, Japanese, Korean as system OS language available.
Besides any third party application can support your local language.
- I can't find my variant here ?
The very first variant of the Workabout PRO was not RoHS certificated and internal
name was generation G0. It is 100% identical with the G1.
Former veriant 7525M(onochrom) has been a black/white display only, this model is replaced with color display variant.
- battery options ?
|Battery Art.No.||Power||Label Color||Battery life||Best buy||WAP 7525C-G1||WAP 7525S-G1||WAP 7527C- G2+G3||WAP 7527S- G2+G3|
|WA3000||1700 mAh||black||6 hours||Standard, cheap||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|WA3002||2350 mAh||black||8 hours||end-of-life||yes with door WA3003||yes with door WA3008||yes||yes|
|WA3006||3300 mAh||blue||11 hours||yes with door WA3003||yes with door WA3008||yes||
|WA3006oem||3400 mAh||white||12 hours||best price||yes with door WA3003||yes with door WA3008||yes||yes|
|16 hours||most powerful||no||no||yes with door WA3017-G2||yes with door WA3018-G2|
Depending on the installed add-ons (scanner/imager, Wifi, GPS, GSM), we suggest to use a high-capacity battery 3400mAh for any G1 units. Heavy usage with G2/G3 units should consider 4400mAh battery with expansion battery door.
Click picture to see details.
- battery door options ?
Workabout PRO generation G1:
Numeric 7525S comes with standard door WA3009. For high capacity batteries (2350mAh and more ) you need door WA3008.
Alphanumeric 7525C comes with standard door WA3007. For high capacity batteries (2350mAh and more ) you need door WA3003.
You cannot use battery 4400mAh (WA3010) with G1 as there is no door for it.
Workabout PRO generation G2/G3:
Numeric 7527S comes with standard door WA3016-G2. For super high capacity battery WA3010 you need door WA3018-G2.
Alphanumeric 7527C comes with standard door WA3015-G2. For super high capacity battery WA3010 you need door WA3017-G2.
You do not need a new door for using batteries WA3000, WA3002, WA3006, WA3006oem with the Workabout PRO G2+G3.
- how to extend battery life ?
Configure power management accordingly (WM: /Start/Settings/System tab - CE.net: /Start/Settings//ControlPanel/Display & /Power): suspend power settings, reduce backlight, keypad brightness. If not needed, disable Bluetooth, GSM/GPRS, SD-Card Slot. Teklogix recommend that to get the best battery life you should use default power managment settings.
- backup battery ?
Workabout PRO variants have a backup battery. It will remain data while replacing
main battery. G1 use a recharable LiIon coin cell (Psion Art.No. WA3005). It
is accessible behind the backplate. Please use original Psion Teklogix battery
only, no standard LiIon cell will do. Besides G1 run with AA batteries, but
these should be considered for emergency use only.
G2+G3 use a customized LiIon battery, which is accessible from the battery compartment. It's a replaceable part, Psion Art.No.WA3019, P/N: 1050944. G2/G3 units will not run with AA batteries.
- charging options ?
1. Docking station: The desk docking station (WA4003, WA4002, WA4102,
WA4204) can charge a spare battery as well as charge the battery inside in the
2. Battery charger (WA3001): Can charge a battery externally. Slim mobile solution.
3. Power Supply Unit (PS1050):
Workabout G2 - PSU can be plugged directly in the power port on bottom.
Workabout G1: PSU will be connected via Tether adapter CA1050 (you can order power supply together with adapter as kit = Art.No.WA3200). This adapter will be plugged on the Tether port of the Workabout PRO G1 and allows to a connect a mains power adapter. You can charge now the Workabout PRO directly with a PSU mains. This is a solution where charging with a docking cradle is not possible (outdoor etc.)
4. Vehicle charging options:
- powered Vehicle Cradle (WA1010, WA1110): This cradle charges the plugged Workabout PRO unit with the on-board power supply,
- Automotive Power Supply (WA3112): This kit contains of a power supply CLA (cigarette lighter adapter) and a tether Cable (CA1050) to plug the supply directly to the unit. The unit can now be powered with the onboard-supply and the battery to be charged. It's an cheap alternative for a powered cradle.
- what do I need to start with ?
The Workabout PRO comes with no accessories included (exept stylus). For start working with the unit you need at least two things: 1) a battery pack and 2) one of the mentioned charging options.
The Workabout Pro is modular, a variety of internal connectors allow Barcode modules, serial ports, radio cards and much more to be connected directly into the body of the Workabout Pro maintaining its IP and Drop ratings.
- automotive options ?
Cradles: if you need a simple vehicle cradle, choose a non-powered cradle. However if you want to charge your unit with the onboard power, choose a powered cradle:
|Workabout||Non-powered cradle||Powered Cradle|
- Units with attached handstrap or pistolgrip also fit in the vehicle cradle.
Only cases have to be removed.
- To connect the cradle to your onboard power, you need a cable set CA1210.
- To attach the cradle to the vehicle you need a RAM mount WA4006.
- All cradles have a data communication cable, which can be plugged to the Port replicator WA4005. The replicator used in conjunction with the vehicle docker provides one USB and three additional serial ports for the connection of vehicle borne peripherals (GPS, datalogger, printer etc.).
- stylus options ?
Standard stylus can be ordered as spare part (WA6100). Besides there is a stylus kit attached to the outside of the unit (WA6310, for G2 units only). The external stylus can be combinated with a handstrap (WA6025, WA6125). Attaching a external stylus to G1 units, please also use the handstrap-stylus combination WA6025 / WA6125.
- wired communication options ?
|USB||To plug external USB deviced to the Workabout use adapter cable WA1002. This adapter will be plugged on the Tether-port of the WAP unit and allows to connect USB devices (adapter provides USB A port male). There is also a adapter cable for the VIC cradle (WA1001) which provides USB port.|
Option 1: Adapter Tether-Ethernet (WA4025)
Option 2: Adapter USB-Ethernet (WA4010, WA4070)
Option 3: Quad-Docking Station (WA4204-G2 / WA4304-G2)
Option 1: BR1001
Option 2: adapter WA4015 / WA4020
- wireless communication options ?
|GSM||Technology||part no.||suitable for Workabout PRO|
end of life (G0 only)
|GPRS, EDGE quad band||RA3030||G2+G3|
GPRS, EDGE quad band
|Wifi||Technology||part no.||suitable for Workabout PRO|
|Wifi 802.11b/g||RA2015, RA2016||end of life (G0 only)|
|Wifi 802.11b/g||RA2041||G2 + G3|
|Wifi 802.11a/b/g||RA2043||G2 + G3 with CE.net 5 only|
|Infrared||The endcap BR1002 provides an Infrared IrDA port. Easy installation, just replace standard endcap with it and plug xMod card in - it will be recognized automatically from the unit and is ready to use. - It's also available with RS232+TTL+IrDA (BR1000).|
- scanner / imager options ?
|WA9000||SE1223HP (high performance)||Backplate||65cm||42°||
- UPC / EAN
|WA6101||short range and pistol grip|
|WA9002||SE955||Backplate||76cm||47°||not possible||shot range no pistol grip needed|
|WA9005||SE1223LR (long range)||Backplate||6 meter||23°||WA6101||long range|
|WA9006||SE1223ALR (advanced LR)||Backplate||9 meter||23°||WA6101||very long range|
|WA9102||SE955||Endcap||76cm||47°||WA9300||scanner on top of unit, no GSM needed|
|WA9112||SE955||Endcap||76cm||47°||WA9300||scanner on top of unit, GSM used|
- UPC / EAN 128
|WA6101||1D short range and pistol grip|
|Intermec EV15||Endcap||25cm||40°||WA9300||1D imager on top of unit, no GSM used|
|Intermec EV15||Endcap||25cm||40°||WA9300||1D imager on top of unit, GSM needed|
|honeywell HHP5180||Endcap||?°||2D imager on top of unit, no GSM|
|honeywell HHP5180||Endcap||?°||2D imager on top of unit, GSM needed|
|honeywell HHP5180||Backplate||25cm||40°||WA6102||2D slim pod form factor|
- protective options ?
Screen: to avoid scratches on the touchscreen from heavy stylus input, you can attach a screen protection, WA6112-G2.
Case: a variety of protective pouches, belt-cases and rubber boot protections are available.
Handstrap: To avoid fall down of units, a handstrap is helpful:
|Handstrap||Option||WAP unit||Fits for units|
|WA6020||Single handstrap||C - 7525C G1, 7527C G2||without scanner|
|WA6120||Single handstrap||S - 7525S G1, 7527S G2||without scanner|
|WA6026||Double handstrap||C - 7525C G1, 7527C G2||with scanner|
|WA6126||Double handstrap||S - 7525S G1, 7527S G2||with scanner|
|WA6025||Double handstrap + stylus||C - 7525C G1, 7527C G2||with scanner, plus stylus included|
|WA6125||Double handstrap + stylus||S - 7525S G1, 7527S G2||with scanner, plus stylus included|
- memory options ?
The internal memory (ROM / Flash-RAM) can not be upgraded. However the memory
can be expanded with memory-cards:
1. Secure Digital (SD-card): the slot for SD-cards is easily accessible via battery compartment. We suggest this SD-cards if you want to remove/change it regularly,
2. Compact Flash (CF-card): the slot for CF-cards is inside the unit. You have to remove backplate and endcap to get access. We suggest CF-cards if you want to install a non-user-accessible memory disk.
- software options ?
In general, if you are using the Windows Mobile version of the device then
software designed for Pocket PC can be used. For Windows CE.net versions you
should check with your software supplier. On the whole Pocket PC software will
not 'just run' on CE.net 4.2.
There is Java virtual machine available for the Workabout Pro, so you can run Java applications on the WA Pro.
F.A.Q. - for Workabout PRO users:
- My unit does not power on ?
1. Try a soft/warm reset first (see below).
2. Check if battery is charged well (otherwise blinking yellow LED). Units with low battery does not power up. Place unit in the desktop docking cradle. Check if battery is inserted and compartment is closed properly, otherwise it won't charge on the docker.
3. Finally try a hard/cold reset (see below).
4. The units have a internal power switch (G1: behind end cap, G2/G3: in the battery compartment). Units G2 + G3 are shipped with factory default OFF, so always check if the power switch is ON.
5. If all solutions fail and unit remaind "dead", please contact vendor/manufatorer for service.
- How to reset the unit ?
1. Soft/Warm reset: factory settings are retained, but any unsaved personal
data is lost. Press and hold ENTER + FN/BLUE simultaneosly 4 seconds.
2. Hard/Cold reset: returns the unit to factory settings, all datas are lost ! - Press and hold ENTER + FN/BLUE + FN/ORANGE simultaneosly 4 seconds.
3. Booting in BooSt "systemmenue": Press and hold ENTER + FN/BLUE + SCANNER button left simultaneosly 4 seconds. After you can "clean start" unit, which resets the unit 100% to factory settings.
None of these reset-options erases OS system, so you will never be left with a non-working unit.
- How to connect the Workabout PRO with the PC ?
Software: Windows 7 + Vista users require Windows Mobile Device Center,
Windows 2000 + XP users require ActiveSync. Download
Running Active Sync with Windows XP, please check you have admin rights, firewall settings, active DHCP-client, active Netbios over TCP/IP.
Most connection problems with Windows 2000/XP are gone if you install USB drivers: USB Setup application (PTX P/N: 1000997).
G1 units: you need dockingstation WA4002 (C) or WA4102 (S) or WA4003 (C+S) or quad-docker WA4204-G2 (C+S).
G2 units: you need dockingstation WA4003 (C+S) or quad-docker WA4204-G2 (C+S). Theres also adapter WA4001-G2, which will be plugged in the Tether port of the Workabout PRO unit and connect it to any PC/Laptop "active sync". Acts as a slim communication option to the desk docker.
- Scanner/imager does not work properly ?
1. Internal power-switch (SW1401) must be OFF before connecting scanner/imager
with the internal flexi cable. Power switch can be found beneath end cap (G1
units) resp. inside battery compartment (G2).
2. Check your Psion product number and see on table on top what scan-engine is used. For example: Scanner WA9000 = engine SE1223HP or Imager WA9003 = engine EV15. The appropriate number has to be choosen from the BooSt Scanner list. Check your choice in the Windows System settings.
3. Some imagers require additional .cab drivers to work with G2 units. Please download drivers here: Windows CE5 - Windows Mobile 6.
4. If red laser light show up, the hardware is installed properly. Try simple EAN code first, vary with scan distances.
- Radio Wifi does not work properly ?
1. Check if Wifi radio card is detected from the unit. The Wifi card should
be shown under ControlPanel\System\properties as "CF slot 802.11".
2. make sure, CF slot is active: Start / Settings / System / Power / Built-in Devices
3. For configuration of RA2040 (Marvell) use Start/Settings/Connections/Wireless Manager. For configuration of RA2041 (Summit) use SCU application. SCU is included with the CE.net OS-pack. For WinMobile please find SCU in the additional add-on .CAP.
- What Hardware Expansions are available ?
1. PCMCIA / PCCARD: The adapter RA3200 plugs on the xMod extension slot and provides a standard-PCCARD slot. Now you can use extensions with PCCARD-size like WWAN, GPRS, Bluetooth, GPS etc.
2. Case modifications: There is an extended endcap WA9004, which can be installed when extra space for antennas is needed.
3. Developer hardware: Tether Cabel with open ends (CA2900, CA2950) provides fly wired for developing purposes.
- What spare parts are available ?
|WA6209||Endcap Standard||standard endcap which comes with each Workabout PRO unit|
|WA9004||Endcap Extended||extended endcap gives space for extensions in PCCARD/PCMCIA format or antennas.|
|1051230||Endcap Extended GSM + RFID - Multi Purpose||
||extended endcap for GSM / RFID extensions|
|WA6208||Back Cover Plate|
|?||Stylus holder||This is the internal counterpart to the stylus, which holds the stylus in place. Sometimes missing if GSM/Wifi modul is installed. If the stylus can't be fixed, check if this holder is missing.|
|Mechanical stops||These part physically restrains internal extensions like Wifi/GSM cards in place in case of shock loading.|
|WA3005||Internal Backup Coin Cell G1||
||replacement for the Internal Backup Coin Cell Battery used in all Workabout Pro models G1. This rechargeable LiIon coin battery provides 65mAh of backup capacity to maintain user data during a battery swap. Cell is accessible after removing backplate.|
|1050944||Internal Backup Coin Cell G2||
||replacement for the Internal Backup Battery used in all Workabout
Pro models G2. This battery provides backup capacity to maintain user data
during a battery swap.
The cell is accessible inside the battery compartment and therefore easily user replaceable.
|WA6207||Internal Metal Frame - C|
|WA6210||Internal Metal Frame - S|
© EDV Pulster, Germany - www.pulster.de - email@example.com